This post is very uncharacteristic for my blog but I wanted to write about a condition I have been dealing with in order to help others who are facing the same thing. After a lot of searching, I realized there's not a whole lot of good information out there and I want to prevent others from being discouraged, and let you know that you're not alone! So if you've stumbled upon my site while searching for help, here is what I have learned. Condition : Avascular Necrosis of the Sesamoid (This means one of the little sesamoid bones in your foot is decaying). Onset: After visiting an orthopedic specialist, I found out this is a very random and unpredictable injury. In my case, I landed on my foot the wrong way during a P90X Plyometrics workout. After the initial injury, the onset of pain was gradual, until one day it became unbearable. I discontinued my workout program and stayed on the couch frequently with an ice pack. Ibuprofen alleviated the pain slightly, but not much...
Several of you have commented that you would like more information about treating a fractured/dying sesamoid bone with surgery. I have decided to go through with surgery, myself, and will be updating everyone through this blog. My surgery is tomorrow (July 10). Here is what I know so far: Condition Stress Fracture on Lateral Sesamoid in my left foot (One doctor said this is a form of avascular necrosis. The bone has been decaying and fragments of it are finding their way to other parts of my foot). It is more common for the medial sesamoid to have a stress fracture than the lateral sesamoid. What is a Sesamoid? A sesamoid bone is a bone embedded with a tendon. Your kneecap (patella) is an example of a sesamoid. It helps give movement to other bones. Onset My doctor said with this particular bone, a stress fracture usually occurs over a long period of time - lots of jumping, running, etc., rather than from a specific event. For me, ...
Some observations. 1. New Years Resolutions are notorious for packing out gyms and boosting diet program sales across the country for about.... a month (and that's if you're really motivated!). 2. We tend to make a LOT of resolutions (lose weight, spend time with family, make more money, go on a vacation, cure cancer, etc. etc.). 3. I don't think I like resolutions because I never seem to resolute them. (I don't know if that word works there but it sounds cool). My beautiful and loving grandmother (Mimi) went to be with Jesus this past weekend, and it has made me do a lot of thinking. It is strange that so many people are making plans to better their life when others have just finished their last breath. Life keeps on going. The sun keeps on showing up each new morning just to come back again the next day. And when each new day comes, what are we doing to get the most out of it? Resolutions are great. It is important to set goals for ourselves so that we sta...
Comments
Post a Comment