My Thoughts on the Legalization of Same Sex Marriage

I don't typically like to engage in political discussion. I think it is oftentimes polarizing and can do more damage than good. I do, however, know that politics are important, and that government is capable of implementing policies for the good of our society. And with individualization becoming more and more of an issue, I am finding it increasingly important to develop my own viewpoints.

On June 26, 2015, my husband and I celebrated our five year wedding anniversary, and I couldn't be happier about it. We met almost 10 years ago, and I locked him down as soon as I could. He's the best there is. The morning of our anniversary, we had fun sharing pictures commemorating our times together with the world of social media, but why wasn't anyone "liking" them (insert gasp here)? Everyone's attention seemed to be elsewhere.  After scrolling through our newsfeed for 0.2 seconds, we soon realized that we would be sharing our anniversary with the legalization of same sex marriage in the U.S.

To be honest, I kind of shrugged the news off. Was I supposed to be shocked? Was I supposed to be angry? Everyone was telling me I should be. But I didn't feel any of those things. I think I agree with the Supreme Court's decision.

Why? Just like I don't think the government should be able to tell me what God to pray to or where I have to work every day, I don't think they should tell me who I can or can't marry. Aren't you glad our government gives us that freedom? I think it would be pretty scary if they tried to control those types of decisions.

America is not synonymous with Christianity, and God is not synonymous with government. There are millions of Americans who are not Christians, so why should they be governed by Christian ideals? Would you rather obey something out of force, or learn through love and change with a willing heart?

As a Christian, I can keep on living my life the same exact way I did on June 25 - doing my best to love everyone I meet regardless of their skin color, sexual orientation, career, education, etc.

As a Christian, I want to strive to be more like my gay friends, because honestly, they are some of the most loving and non-judgmental people I know. I think a big reason for that is they allow others to be exactly who they are.

I believe in the Bible, and I believe in the inerrancy of scripture. I believe that God does not want us to live in sin, but He also says that no one's sin is worse than another's. My main struggle has always been anxiety, and I bet there are probably ten times more verses on anxiety and worry in the Bible than there are on homosexuality. To quote our pastor, "Wouldn't it be cool if we started focusing on our own sin instead of everyone else's?" Preach it, Pastor Bob!

My closest friends allow me to be who I am. They don't ask me to change, but I know they are always there for me to talk to when I need help. They don't throw scripture in my face unless I ask for it. Honestly, if my friends opened our conversations with verses about how to overcome anxiety, it would a) give me more anxiety and b) make me want to walk on the other side of the street when I see them coming.

I was reading the story of Noah's Ark to our daughter (it's actually a pretty heavy kid's story, BTW), and talked with her about how the rainbow is a reminder to us of God's great love, and His promise to never leave us.

How cool is it that a rainbow is one of the biggest symbols in the LGBT community?! Seriously, how cool?! God knows what He is doing. He loves everyone, and He has promised never to leave us.

Scott and I took this picture on our anniversary.


It wasn't until later that evening that I thought about how neat it was that God gave DFW a beautiful rainbow on the day of the Supreme Court's decision - a gentle reminder that He loves us, and an invitation to take a deep breath and remember that He uses every little thing for good. 

Christians, let's not spend any more time worrying about this decision. God is not confined by the policies implemented by the Supreme Court. He is SO FAR ABOVE IT. His law is love and that will never change.

Jesus, please help me to love people the way that you love them.

That's all I ask, and that's all I think we need.

Comments

  1. Too many of my facebook friends have liked this and I can't comment on it because we are not friends - so here is my comment.

    Please read the decision Obergefll v Hodges. It's 103 pages long and the court was divided 5-4. Those in dissent, wrote eloquently and passionately why this was a bad decision.

    Please note: none of them wrote that this is a bad decision because America is a Christian nation and should force Christianity on those who have different beliefs.

    They did warn though that this decision actually removed liberty from the people (not gave them more) and that if the supreme court does this, American democracy is threatened.

    The last half of what they said is among the reasons why you should be concerned. If America unravels because of us breaking our system of government, well...last time that happened was 1861 and 620,000 Americans killed each other over it.

    Please read it. Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my post. I am open to other ideas and see merit in other angles as well. I would be interested in reading more specific information regarding the decision. Where can I find a copy of Obergefll v. Hodges?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Avascular Necrosis of the Sesamoid

First Post-Op Appointment

Removal of Lateral Sesamoid in Foot (Avascular Necrosis/Stress Fracture of the Lateral Sesamoid)